WHAT IS NURSING HOME ABUSE / NEGLECT?
Elder abuse is a deplorable issue. Nursing home abuse or neglect occurs as a result of the careless, reckless or negligent behavior of nursing home employees. Nursing home abuse or neglect can be physical, verbal or financial.
Physical abuse is the intentional or unintentional infliction of pain or injury by a nursing home employee, upon a resident. Verbal abuse takes place when a nursing home employee threatens or causes a resident to suffer emotional distress.
Financial abuse involves a nursing home’s illegal or improper use of a resident’s property or money for personal gain. The examples listed below are indicators and types of nursing home physical abuse:
- Bruises, black eyes, lacerations and welts
- Broken bones and fractures
- Bed sores
- Cuts, open wounds, and wounds in various stages of healing
- Poor skin condition
- Sprains, dislocations and internal injuries
- Weight loss
- Dehydration or malnourishment
- Signs of restraint
- Broken eyeglasses
- Sudden change in behavior
- Lab findings indicating an overdose or deprivation of medication
- Caregiver’s refusal to allow visitors to see the other person alone
- Rape or sexual assault
- Lack of supervision or care
- Providing a resident with the wrong medication
Contact a Iowa nursing home injury attorney representing clients in Newton, Iowa today to schedule your initial consultation.
Des Moines personal injury lawyer, attorney Newton, IA, continuum care accident law firm - If you would like to schedule a initial consultation regarding your case, please contact the Luthens Law Offices at (800) 685-7948 or complete our inquiry form.